About

Weber Insurance Agency, Inc. had its beginning in 1930 when George Weber started writing car, dwelling, and crop insurance from his car. He placed a sign on his home at 1673 31st Avenue in Columbus, NE that read:

“Weber Insurance Agency – All Kinds”

The insurance agency began to grow and George rented the back room of the Behlen Collection Agency. In 1934 George bought the Wilson Insurance Agency and Weber Insurance Agency had an official office and telephone number. The agency continued to grow and moved to 13th Street and 26th Avenue. In 1939 the agency moved once again to a location in the Meridian Hotel building and a neon sign was placed in the window stating:

“X MARKS THE SPOT”

In 1952 Leonard Weber (son of George) joined Weber Insurance Agency. Daughter Caroline Weber Selichnow and granddaughter Carolee Selichnow also joined the agency. On November 26, 1967 George Weber passed away and Leonard purchased the Weber Insurance and Reality Company. Gary Weber (son of Leonard) worked in the agency from 1967 to 1972.

The location of the Agency moved from the Meridian Hotel building (present day Tooley’s parking lot) to 1700 23rd Street temporarily. In 1972 the Weber Insurance Agency found its home for 28 years at 3220 17th Street (across from Husker House).

Jane Weber Schneider, granddaughter of George and daughter of Leonard, joined the Agency in 1971 and her husband Jeff Schneider in 1972.

In 1981, Leonard and Helen (Gates) Weber sold 49% of the agency to Jeff and Jane Schneider, and following Leonard’s death in 1985 the remaining 51% was sold to Jeff and Jane, making them the sole owners of the Weber Insurance Agency, Inc.

Business continued to expand and the Agency purchased the office building at 1762-26th Avenue where it is currently located. Instead of “X MARKS THE SPOT” sign the Agency took on the new slogan:

“BECAUSE THINGS HAPPEN”

Making certain their Customers were securely covered in case of an accident, weather, or other disaster has been the emphasis of the Weber Insurance Agency for over 85 years. Since the beginning in 1930 Weber Insurance Agency, Inc. has truly been a locally owned and operated family business focusing upon customer service and care.

The family tradition continues today as another generation has joined the Weber Insurance Agency, Mitch Freshour, son-in-law of Jeff and Jane Schneider joined the firm as an Agent in 2011. Hope Freshour, daughter of Jeff and Jane Schneider and wife of Mitch joined the Agency in 2015 as an Agent.

Weber Insurance Agency, Inc. staff members have established a friendly customer service focused operation through their hard work, dedication and loyalty to the Agency.

WEBSITE DESIGNED BY EDJE